Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What's on your bedside table?

Challenge 11 at Blog This

What are you reading at the moment? What book can you not put down or just can't finish? Are you drawn to certain authors, genres or just what's in the bargain bin? Do you get books from a book exchange, library or are you beating the doors down at Dymocks on release day? Write all about the last book you read or the one you're reading/struggling to read!

I am an avid reader. I love to read and tend to churn through books, often complaining that I have nothing to read...I should make better use of the local library!

Currently on my bedside table are a pile of books I have 'just finished' and not yet put away in our overflowing bookcase.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote.
My all time favourite movie, though I had never read the book. I found the book to be not as bittersweet as the movie, it was almost a little depressing. Usually I prefer books to movies but this time, the movie wins, although Audrey Hepburn would have much to do with that!

The Queen's Sorrow - Suzannah Dunn.
Hmmmm. Can't say I would recommend this one! The cover leads you to believe it is about Mary Tudor (Bloody Mary), but it really only has a little bit about her. It was ok, but not great. Again, rather depressing, but unlike Holly Golightly, the characters were not particularly endearing.

My daughter is also a book lover, and would possibly sit all day and listen to stories being read to her. Her current favourites are the Madeline stories by Ludwig Bemelmans. I have to admit, I am becoming a big fan of these sweet tales too! "In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines". The stories are cute and funny, and cheeky Madeline is so endearing. So far we have 3 of the series and I'm on the hunt for the rest.

Although I love books, I'm also a secret magazine junkie. My Child, Real Living and Notebook are probably my favourites right now. I used to love Marie Claire & Vogue types but these days I wait and read them at the hairdresser, for some reason I don't really relate as well to them anymore!

2 comments:

  1. I have Stephen King's the Dark Half almost finished on my bedside table. I have a whole heap of books in a pile next to my bed that I keep buying but haven't had time to read. I like Stephen King when I'm feeling dark and moody, Louise Bagshawe when I'm feeling trashy and glam and Patricia Cornwell when I'm feeling all crime-y. And yes I should be reading more of the classics but I've read Gone With The Wind 3 times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just read The Lovely Bones...again:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, you just made me smile!

Related Posts with Thumbnails